Lewis Hamilton describes Naomi Osaka as ‘an incredible inspiration’ following her US Open stand
Formula One star Lewis Hamilton has described Naomi Osaka as ‘an incredible inspiration’ for the moral stand she has made at the US Open.
Osaka won her third Grand Slam crown in New York, wearing the name of a different victim of racial discrimination on her face-mask in every single round.
She said the purpose was to ‘get people talking’ and she has been hailed by fellow Black Lives Matter movement advocate Lewis Hamilton.
“We have to continue to raise awareness with it and Naomi has been doing amazing, so huge congratulations to her,” said the six-time F1 world champion.
“I think she’s an incredible inspiration with what she’s done with her platform. I think we just have to continue to push on the issue.”
Hamilton also hailed her on social media after her US Open final win, describing her as ‘leading by example.’
“No matter how, we have to keep using our voices to prevent innocent black lives from being taken,” he added.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner