Kyrgios plans to ‘get some strawberries and chill’ on Wimbledon ‘vacation’
Nick Kyrgios plans to have some fun on his return at Wimbledon, with the 26-year-old hoping to ‘get some strawberries and chill’.
The world No. 61 left Australia for the first time since the Covid-19 pandemic started, and has not competed since the Australian Open in February.
Kyrgios will play singles and also team up with Venus Williams in the mixed doubles.
— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) June 27, 2021
“I’m using this as a vacation. I’ve been in Australia now for a year and a half. I’ve reached a really nice level of freedom. Nothing fazes me at all any more.”
Kyrgios will face Frenchman Ugo Humbert in the opening round on Tuesday. The pair met in a superb encounter in Melbourne earlier this year, with the Aussie winning in front of a rowdy crowd.
Dominic Thiem defeated Kyrgios in a five-set thriller in the third round of Australian Open and he hasn’t played on the ATP Tour since.
“I didn’t feel at all that I had to play. When I was at home I wasn’t looking at any results. I was happy without tennis,” said Kyrgios.
“I just feel like I’ve got a little bit left to give to the game. I feel like a lot of people are wanting me to play.
“I just want to go out there and have some fun. I haven’t been on a tennis court for a while. It’s Wimbledon, it’s the pinnacle of tennis. I’m going to get myself some strawberries and chill.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner