Krejcikova battles through marathon to reach Roland Garros final
Krejcikova reached her maiden Grand Slam singles final by defeating Greek challenger Sakkari in a tense Roland Garros semi-final.
Having previously gone no further than the fourth round of a Grand Slam singles draw, Barbora Krejciokova booked her place in the 2021 French Open final with a 7-5, 4-6, 9-7 victory over Maria Sakkari that took over three hours on-court.
The Czech went 3-1 down early in the first set before clinching four consecutive games to go 5-3 up and serve for the set. But Sakkari broke back immediately, the two then holding serve before Krejcikova broke for the opening set.
How about THAT!
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) June 10, 2021
Sakkari then claimed an early break for 2-1 on her serve in the decider. The Greek offered up few opportunities for Krejcikova to break back, saving the only break point chance she surrendered.
Krejcikova faced down a match point at 30-40 3-5 on her serve, but saved it with a gutsy backhand drive volley. The Czech went on to hold, forcing Sakkari to serve out the match, which she failed to do.
Krejcikova had three match points on the Sakkari serve at 6-7, but was unable to convert at that point.
She finally clinched it by breaking Sakkari at 7-8, on her fifth match point and a final set that last over 80 minutes.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner