Konta upbeat despite defeat
Konta and the No.7 seed lost 1-6 7-6(2) 6-4 on Court Philippe Chatrier, having raced away with the first set in 23 minutes before leading 2-0 in the second-set tiebreak, only for the world No.109 to storm back and win in two hours, seven minutes.
“Regardless of ranking, there’s always going to be more difficult match-ups and maybe more easier match-ups with every player just depending on game style,” said Konta, undone by the Chinese Taipei player who plays two-handed off both sides.
“She’s definitely an unorthodox player, but I think she uses the best of her ability to her advantage. And I think with the conditions out there, it was quite windy and she definitely used that to her advantage quite well.”
Despite the setback, Konta said she was looking forward to switching to grass, confirming that she plans to play three tournaments in the build-up to Wimbledon – a full roster ahead of the year’s third Grand Slam.
“My expectations are never results-orientated,” Konta said of her clay court season. “In that sense, whether I’ve lost first round or third round or quarters, I do my best to not judge myself on that aspect. Obviously, I like to be involved in a tournament for as long as possible, and I would have liked to have been involved here longer.
“But in terms of the match that I played and the improvements that I feel I’ve made and that I have spoken to my team about, and we all seem to be on the same page. I do feel I’m a better player at the end of this last few weeks on the surface than I was at the beginning and that is the most I can ask of myself: to keep improving.
“It’s unfortunate that I didn’t get the chance to play another match here, because I definitely was enjoying my time on the surface and I wanted the season to continue on the clay. But in terms of heading onto the grass, I obviously am looking forward to it – more so because I’ll be at home. That will be something that’s very special, too, not just for me but all the Brits, so I’m looking forward to that.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner