Konta: Momentum counts for little
Konta, who is through to the Australian Open fourth round for the second time in her career, is on an eight-match winning streak after winning the title in Sydney last week.
While Konta is reluctant to talk about momentum, she says she tries to store up good experiences to draw upon at a later date. And the world No.9 will have some very specific memories when she takes on Ekaterina Makarova on Monday. The pair met at the same stage in Melbourne last year, with Konta coming from a set down to win 8-6 in the third set on Margaret Court Arena.
“Every time we play, we have a battle,” said Konta, who has won all three of their previous encounters. “I remember that was a high-level match from both of us. That was a really great match to be a part of.”
She added: “I try very hard to always make sure I really take the good and the things I can improve on from every match that I play and reinvest it into the next match. Whenever the similar situation arises, make sure that’s in my bank and I can use my experience from that. Having been already in certain pressure situations recently, maybe I can relate back to those things within a match.
“However, equally I need to keep myself present. I need to stay within the match that I am. Just because you win a few previously, it doesn’t mean that you’ll keep doing it. It’s not really relevant for the match at hand.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner