Konta beaten in Indian Wells
The first tournament appearance since the Australian Open ended in disappointment as Konta was beaten 3-6 6-3 7-6(1) by France’s Garcia in the third round of the BNP Paribas Open.
The world No.11 admitted afterwards that she was “not brave enough” against Garcia, who fought back from a set down to claim one of the best wins of her career. Garcia, the 23-year-old world No.25, dominated the deciding tie-break in particular.
“I don’t believe I played a great match today,” Konta told wtatennis.com. “I would have liked to have played better, but it just didn’t happen. There were a number of shots that let me down. Quite honestly, I don’t know why, but I’m keen on improving and doing better next time.
“I didn’t do enough with the opportunities that I did get. Some of the break points, she served well, and others, I wasn’t brave enough. I don’t think I did enough to really take them. I was a little too passive.”
Konta, who became the first British woman to break into the world’s top 10 for 32 years in October, made a flying start to the year, winning 12 of her first 14 matches as she won the title in Sydney and then reached the quarter-finals of the Australian Open, but her only subsequent appearance was for Britain in the Fed Cup.
Garbine Muguruza came through a major test, beating Kayla Day 3-6 7-5 6-2, while Karolina Pliskova eased to a 6-4 7-6(2) victory over Irina-Camelia Begu. The Czech’s sister, Kristyna Pliskova, pushed Dominika Cibulkova hard before the Slovakian won 2-6 7-6(5) 7-6(4).
Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal all won their opening matches. Djokovic, the defending champion, beat Kyle Edmund 6-4 7-6(5), but only after the Briton had taken a 3-0 lead at the start of the second set. Djokovic now faces Juan Martin del Potro.
Federer crushed France’s Stephane Robert 6-2 6-1, while Nadal beat Guido Pella 6-3 6-2. Kei Nishikori beat Britain’s Dan Evans 6-3 6-4.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner