Jim Courier: ‘Novak Djokovic is the overwhelming favourite for Australian Open, but…’
Jim Courier believes there will be another breakout star in 2020, but Novak Djokovic remains the ‘overwhelming’ favourite for the Australian Open title.
Last year saw a rare occasion when someone outside of tennis’ big three of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, and Roger Federer won a Grand Slam, with Dominic Thiem winning the US Open.
Courier, who won four major titles himself during his career, believes it could happen again this year.
“I think throughout 2021, yes [someone outside of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer will win a major],” Courier told Wide World of Sports Radio.
“I don’t think the old guard is going to sweep all the majors as they have in recent years.
“But I do expect that one of the old guards will win the Australian Open on the men’s side. The women’s field is quite a bit more open.”
However, Courier also cautioned that despite the emergence of young talent, the Australian Open remains the domain of one established star.
“Novak Djokovic is an overwhelming favourite given how many times he has lifted the trophy and how well he played last year,” Courier added.
“He is rested, he’s ready, he’s had access to full practice in Adelaide and he’s going to get a good match on Friday night. He’s got everything lined up.
“The old guys aren’t getting younger, so there will be some more chances for the younger guys.
“I can see some breakthroughs in other events later this year.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner