Jim Courier declares that ‘the breakthrough is coming’ for Aryna Sabalenka
Two-time French Open champion Jim Courier sees a big break on the horizon for the 23-year-old Belarusian.
Jim Courier believes that world No. 4 Aryna Sabalenka is close to really shifting up in form on the WTA tour.
“I definitely think the breakthrough is coming,” Courier said according to Roland Garros. “I think she can be a real force.
“For me, it’s one of those scenarios where if she’s confident, she is tough for anybody to beat because she can cover the court and she can dominate from the centre.”
Aryna Sabalenka had a quite ordinary 14-12 career record on clay heading into 2021, but is now seeded third for the French Open and is a true contender for the title.
Sabalenka spoke of her own expectations before the tournament in a Roland Garros press conference.
“I expect a great level for myself and a good fight,” she said. “I feel ready for Roland Garros – I will do everything I can to go as far as I can.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner