‘Jannik Sinner is a machine. He plays like a more aggressive Novak Djokovic’, says Matteo Berrettini
Matteo Berrettini has contrasted his playing style with Jannik Sinner’s, saying his young compatriot ‘plays a little more like Novak Djokovic’.
World No. 10 Berrettini won the Serbia Open ATP 250 event last week, while 19-year-old Sinner reached the semi-finals of the Barcelona Open.
“My tennis is more based on serve and variations. I use more the slice, the short ball. Jannik Sinner is more of a machine,” the Italian told SuperTennis.
“I would like to say monochord but it is not the right definition. Let’s say that Jannik plays a little more like Djokovic, but he is more aggressive than Nole. He tries to play more.
“In my opinion his best shot is the backhand. He moves very well and tries to be very aggressive even when others are trying to push.
“We are two different players but we both have aggression as our main characteristic.”
The 25-year-old added on practising with Sinner: “The last time we did an even set – in the sense that I won the first day, the day after him. So even.”
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner