‘I’ve learned my lessons’, warns Stefanos Tsitsipas ahead of rematch with ‘rival’
Stefanos Tsitsipas described it as “an honour” to end a historic Greek tennis drought by battling past Philipp Kohlschreiber on his Olympic debut.
The Greek also spoke of “building a rivalry” with Frances Tiafoe ahead of a rematch with the American – who recently defeated him in the first round at Wimbledon.
The world number four became the first Greek man to win a singles match at the Olympic Games since Augustos Zerlandis in 1924 with his 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 win over Kohlschreiber.
Tsitsipas will now play Tiafoe – who defeated Kwon Soonwoo in straight sets – in the second round in Tokyo, for a second meeting in two months.
“(On ending the Greek Olympic wait) Stats are important. It’s a good thing to know that this happened. I’m a person that’s optimistic and I’m a person that wants more,” the 22-year-old said in a post-match interview.
“It is an honour. It’s a big move for Greece. It’s a big move for this sport in Greece as well and there’s joy in doing that.
“I’ve learned my lessons [from the loss to Tiafoe]. I try and move on better this time. He’s an opponent around my age group and we’re kind of building a rivalry. I’m going to have to raise my level this time.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner