‘I’ve been setting up everything to peak at French Open’ – Novak Djokovic ahead of Belgrade 2
Novak Djokovic is hoping to use his matches at this week’s Belgrade 2 event to make his game “perfectly tuned” for the French Open.
The world No. 1 is playing at the Belgrade Open ATP 250, after reaching the semi-finals at the Serbia Open ATP 250 last month.
Like the first event, this tournament is being held at the Novak Tennis Centre. The 34-year-old will play either Mats Moraing or Egor Gerasimov in the second round.
“I’ve been setting up everything to peak in Paris,” Djokovic said in a pre-tournament interview. “And here it’s about matchplay and it’s about working on certain specific details in my game that hopefully I’ll be able to tweak them and to make them perfectly tuned in Paris.
“That’s definitely where I want to shine and it’s a Grand Slam. It’s a two-week long event, it’s clay, it’s very demanding in every aspect. But I’m happy with the way I’ve been feeling on the court and playing, so hopefully I can go all the way there.
“I’m doing more specific fitness that is related to more matchplay. It’s not any more long hours lifting weights and stuff like this. We have obviously a programme that we are respecting and accomplishing on the court with tennis training and also fitness training.
“Obviously now it’s more of a fine-tuning, more [focusing on the] details, [doing] more of certain exercises that activate certain muscles and movements that are necessary for me to have that feeling of being dynamic and being fast and being strong on the court.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner