‘It’s not about pressure. It’s more how much I really want it’, says Stefanos Tsitsipas on Monte Carlo final
Stefanos Tsitsipas played down the pressure on him ahead of the Monte Carlo Masters final on Sunday, saying he has “pure determination” to win.
The world No. 5 will face Andrey Rublev in the Monte Carlo title match in what will be his third ATP Masters 1000 final.
“It’s not so much about that (pressure). It’s more how much I really want it. That doesn’t necessarily add pressure to me,” said Tsitsipas in an interview after his semi-final win against Dan Evans.
“It’s just pure determination, willingness to go over the top to get what I want. I don’t like to think as it of pressure.
“I’m feeling good. I’m feeling energised. I still have plenty of gas and energy left in me. I was able to have all of my matches done in two sets, so that is I would say a big plus.
“I am happy to be able to play that way, just take it match by match, approach each individual match with the same intensity and energy. I’m really focused.
“Obviously, it is important to elevate my game and try and push it to the limits. I really, really want to be in that position where I come close to winning big tournaments like this. It’s a dream of mine to be playing in the final, honestly.”
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner