‘It’s going to be interesting to see what the new generation is like,’ Alexander Zverev to face exciting youngster
Alexander Zverev says he is excited to see what the next generation of players will bring ahead of his first-round match at the Mexican Open against wildcard Carlos Alcaraz.
Alexander Zverev begins his 2021 Acapulco campaign today against 17-year-old Spaniard and ‘next-generation’ prospect Carlos Alcaraz.
‘[It’s] not an easy first round, but I’m looking forward to it,’ Zverev said in a video interview with ATP Tennis TV.
‘I’ve never practised with him, I’ve never really played with him, so it’s going to be interesting to see what the new generation is like.
Alcaraz, currently ranked No. 132 in the world, was granted a wildcard into the tournament after a number of impressive results to start the year, including a win over top-20 player David Goffin at the Great Ocean Road Open in Melbourne in February. The tournament was ultimately won by another rising star, 19-year-old Italian Jannik Sinner.
Alexander Zverev is still only 23 years old but has acknowledged how fast new talents are coming through.
‘I mean, he is what, five years younger than me, six years younger than me? That is already a different generation in a way.
‘I’m looking forward to the challenge and I can’t wait.’
Read more Alexander Zverev news here.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner