‘It’s for Roger Federer and Martina Hingis’ – Belinda Bencic dedicates gold to Swiss legends
Olympic gold medallist Belinda Bencic has spoken on how she feels her triumph is not just for her and her nation, but also for Swiss greats Roger Federer and Martina Hingis.
Bencic achieved her Olympic dream of a gold medal by downing Czech Marketa Vondrousova in the singles, adding a silver in the women’s doubles alongside Viktorija Golubic.
While the triumph is certainly individual, Bencic added dedication to Federer and Hingis, two Swiss giants who were unfortunate not to secure gold in singles.
“I think I accomplished it for them,” she told the Associated Press of her gold. “I think they did so much in their careers. I’m not sure I will ever be able to do what they have done.
“But maybe I could help them to accomplish this one by giving them this Olympics. So it’s both for Martina and for Roger.”
Martina Hingis’ best Olympic result came at Rio 2016 with a silver medal in the women’s doubles, while Federer has a singles silver from London 2012 and men’s doubles gold from Beijing 2008 to his name.
Bencic further revealed that Federer sent her a message of good luck ahead of her singles final.
“Yes, he wrote to me. He said it was the perfect day to reach my dreams and I was really happy about that. And he was absolutely right.
“He is incredible in that way, he really supports all of the Swiss players. He is behind us and it’s just incredible the type of support I receive from Roger Federer, so this win is also for him.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner