‘It’s an important victory for me,’ Rafael Nadal overcomes Kei Nishikori
Rafael Nadal had to fight but has made it through to the quarter-finals once again in Barcelona by defeating Kei Nishikori in three sets.
Rafael Nadal has reached his 14th career quarter-final at the Barcelona Open after conquering Kei Nishikori 6-0, 2-6, 6-2 in 2 hours and 19 minutes to bring his win-loss record against the Japanese star to 12-2.
“Kei [Nishikori] is an amazing player,” Nadal said in his post-match interview. “So, it’s an important victory for me. He played great I think after that first set and I started playing very well.
“But, it’s true that he [made] things a little bit easier at the beginning.”
That’s just sick 😨
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) April 22, 2021
Kei Nishikori has himself won Barcelona twice, in 2014 and 2015. The last man to win multiple Barcelona titles before Nadal and Nishikori was Thomas Muster, winning in 1995 and 1996.
“Later he increased a lot the level [of his play],” Nadal went on to add. “So it was very tough. But I found a way to be through.
“I think I played much better than yesterday. That’s a very important thing for me, and the level of positive energy has been higher. So, [I’m] very satisfied.”
Rafael Nadal will face Brit Cameron Norrie in the quarter-finals.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner