‘It’s always great to be in a final,’ Garbine Muguruza continues good 2021 form in Dubai
Garbine Muguruza has continued her strong start to the 2021 season by reaching the final of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.
Garbine Muguruza has battled to win her semi-final against Elise Mertens 6-4 7-5 to reach her third final of the year already.
The Spaniard’s win takes her to a 17-4 record so far this season, making her the player with the most wins on the WTA Tour in 2021.
‘It took me quite a few match points to close the match,’ Muguruza admitted in her on-court interview. ‘She [Mertens] is a very talented player, always gets an extra ball back. [I’m] just happy that I could close it in two sets.’
‘You have to be concentrating all the time. If not, your opponent is going to come back and take advantage,’ Muguruza continued.
‘Even if I was 5-3 up and had match points I didn’t lose focus, even if I couldn’t close it there, I was looking forward to the next opportunity.
‘I’m very excited, it’s always great to be in a final and to have these opportunities to win trophies. It’s been a tough tournament here, many matches, and I’m very excited to be able to have the last one tomorrow.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner