“It’s a very special moment for us” – Soares and Pavic top ATP rankings
Bruno Soares and Mate Pavic finished the year at the top of the doubles ATP rankings, after Joe Salisbury and Rajeev Ram failed to win their semi-final in London.
Salisbury and Ram would have leapfrogged the Brazilian/Croatian pair with a win at the Nitto Finals, but lost a tight match 6-7(4) 6-3 11-9 to Jurgen Melzer and Edouard Roger-Vasselin to guarantee Soares and Pavic the top spot.
“I think it’s a massive achievement and it shows how well we played throughout the year,” Soares told the ATP.
“How consistent we were, winning big tournaments. So it’s a special thanks to Mate and our team. It’s very nice to start our first day of vacation celebrating a huge achievement like this.”
Although Pavic and Soares won two of their three matches at the O2 arena, the pair exited the tournament with an inferior sets record to the two pairs who progressed. And, despite a successful year which includes winning the US Open in September, the pair are parting ways for the 2021 season.
Pavic said: “I am very happy for Bruno and myself to end the year No. 1. It was a great partnership, and a good achievement to end the partnership.”
Pavic will team up with fellow Croatian Nikola Mektic, while Soares is reuniting with former world number one British player Jamie Murray. Soares and Murray finished 2016 as the world number ones after winning the Australian Open and US Open titles, and the Brazilian admitted he is “looking forward for next year.”
In the meantime, the pair can enjoy topping the 2020 ATP rankings, an honour that could have been awarded to any one of eight teams before the ATP Finals began. “Right now, it’s time to rest, celebrate and enjoy all the beautiful moments we had on court, because we all know it’s been a very tough year for everyone,” Soares concluded.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner