“It’s a perfect win for me,” Hubert Hurkacz vanquishes Stefanos Tsitsipas to reach Miami Open semi-finals
Hubert Hurkacz fought from a set down to turn the match and claim a second career win against no. 2 seed Stefanos Tsitsipas.
Stefanos Tsitsipas has bowed out at the quarter-final stage of the Miami Open to in-form Pole Hubert Hurkacz, 2-6 6-3 6-4.
“I was trying to keep fighting and that’s what I did so I’m super pumped and happy that I was able to turn this match around,” Hurkacz said following his impressive victory.
“He was returning very well and I had to play a lot of rallies,” he continued.
“At the beginning of the match I tried to go for too much so I tried to adapt my game a little bit.”
Hubi or Herbie? 🚗
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) April 1, 2021
Hurkacz was teetering on the edge of an exit in the second set. 2-6 0-2 15-40 down, the Pole staved off multiple break points to hold his serve before regrouping to win the set and eventually the match.
“It’s so big [to be in the semi-finals], especially in front of the crowd here in Miami,” Hurkacz added. The result means he makes his first ever Masters 1000 semi-final.
“It’s a perfect win for me and I can’t wait for the next match.”
Hubert Hurkacz’s edge seemed to be return of serve, taking advantage of Tsitsipas’ second serve in particular, winning 57% of points against it. Hurkacz will face world No. 8 Andrey Rublev for a place in the final.
Read about Rublev’s win over Sebastian Korda here.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner