‘It was hard to keep my focus,’ Kei Nishikori maintains 100% record over David Goffin
Kei Nishikori has won yet another match on a surge of results by defeating David Goffin in the second round of Dubai.
Kei Nishikori beat David Goffin 6-3 7-6 in just under two hours to continue his impressive comeback to the ATP tour. The win means Nishikori now has a 4-0 record over the Belgian.
‘[In the] second set I think he pushed my service game a little bit,’ Nishikori said in his on-court interview. ‘I had deuce many times and for three games I think he played a little more aggressive. I made a couple of easy mistakes and he was back in the game.’
At 6-3 4-3 on Nishikori’s serve, the two men proceeded to exchange five breaks to take the second set to a tie-break, with the Japanese eventually prevailing.
‘It was my fault really. I had two chances at serving for the match, but I couldn’t finish. It was hard to maintain my focus, but I was happy to finish in two sets.’
Kei Nishikori will face Aljaz Bedene in the third round of Dubai next.
Read more about the Japanese star here.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner