‘It means a lot for sure,’ Nikoloz Basilashvili romps into Doha final
Nikoloz Basilashvili has completed the line-up for the Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2021 final by defeating Taylor Fritz in straight sets.
Nikoloz Basilashvili beat the young American 7-6 6-1 to reach his 6th ATP final and first since winning Hamburg in July 2019.
‘I had a pretty tough time during the pandemic,’ he said in his on-court interview. ‘I didn’t play that well. But, to be in the final means a lot.’
Coming into this week in Doha, Basilashvili was on a losing streak of five matches and had only won 2 of his last 16 matches on tour, stretching back to Cincinnati 2020.
‘I’m playing really well, I’m happy with how I’m playing,’ he went on to say. ‘I’m really relaxed, so I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s final.
‘It’s really nice to have some spectators here. We didn’t have that pleasure for a long time. I think that was one of the most important things [for me].
‘Obviously, in general, it’s tough times for everybody and I hope that it’s gonna finish soon and we can come back to a normal reality of tennis again with fans and a nice atmosphere.’
Nikoloz Basilashvili will face Roberto Bautista Agut in the Doha final on Saturday.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner