‘It is something I’m craving and missing’- Kyrgios relishes return to tour
Nick Kyrgios says he is missing playing in front of crowds as tennis slowly adjusts to competition in the middle of COVID-19, but believes the pandemic has allowed him to re-assess his attitudes and motivations.
The Australian last played in February, shortly before the tour was suspended due to coronavirus, and withdrew from all events since the restart, including the US and French Opens.
In an interview with ESPN, Kyrgios said he was missing the chance to play but felt the suspension allowed him to view life from a different perspective.
He said: “It is something I’m craving and missing. But having said that, it’s given me time to focus on some of the basics in life that I’ve maybe overlooked or just missed out on in the last couple of years in my life.
“When I was travelling all the time and playing and never really home, I had the perspective that ‘tennis wasn’t everything.’ It was all one big blur, I could never really just sit and appreciate the little things and sit in one spot. If I lost, I’d be flying to the next place, staying in a different hotel every week.”
Kyrgios is expected to return at his home Grand Slam tournament, currently still set to be held in January, though it does not appear that he will be too affected by how he performs.
He said: “Just to be happy, that’s the goal. I’m not a results-based guy.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner