‘It is not clear what the best treatment is’ – Carlos Moya on Rafael Nadal foot injury
On Friday, Rafael Nadal announced that he will miss the rest of 2021 due to his ongoing foot injury, he did express ambitions to fully return in 2022.
His coach Carlos Moya has given more details about the injury, revealing that the nature of Nadal’s injury left the team no choice but to rest up until 2022.
“Rafa’s main goal is to recover sensations in the foot and in the head, because going in fits and starts throughout the year has not helped him,” Moya said. “He started with back pain in Australia, he has played only seven events this year. He missed Wimbledon, the Olympics and now the US Open and the Masters.”
“That’s why we should not look at what is happening on the circuit and concentrate on him,” he added. “The best thing was to stop, rest the foot and refresh the head and ideas to do good training and arrive fresh to 2022.”
Moya went onto say Nadal has unpredictable days with the foot issue, and although they have a full diagnosis, they are still unsure on the best treatment.
“There were days when he finished training with a limp and the next day he was fine,” Moya said. “We don’t know where this injury is coming from. There is a diagnosis but it is not clear what the best treatment is.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner