‘It has been an awesome week’ Ashleigh Barty lifts title in Cincinnati
World number one Ashleigh Barty will head to US Open in flying form after defeating Jil Teichmann 6-3, 6-1 to win the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati.
The Aussie will now head to New York searching for a third Grand Slam title and first hard court Major. Barty claimed wins over Angelique Kerber, Victoria Azarenka and Barbora Krejcikova last week.
“It’s been an awesome week. I felt like with each match we’re getting progressively better and better in most parts of my game.” the Australian said.
“Today against Jil I feel like I was able to really trust myself and play with confidence, get after the ball, be aggressive and get a bit of a run-on, which was going to be important in a big final.”
“I think we’re just excited that we’ve got matches under our belt in tough conditions here in Cincy, and that’s put us in really good stead going into New York.”
Barty is looking to be more aggressive on the hard courts in America, and was happy with her final performance.
“I felt like these conditions were going to reward good serving and good first-strike tennis,” said the 25-year-old.
“Even though that’s not necessarily my repertoire all the time, I felt like I wanted to push myself this week to try and be more assertive on my serve.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner