Indian Wells to return in October after more than two-year hiatus
Indian Wells will be held in October 2021 for the first time since its 2019 iteration, an announcement from tournament officials confirms.
The combined ATP Masters 1000 and WTA 1000 event of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells will finally return in October 2021, announced tournament director Tommy Haas.
The dates for the event will be released after the ATP and WTA fall calendars have been confirmed
“We are ecstatic to have the opportunity to hold the BNP Paribas Open in October and bring professional tennis back to the desert,” Haas declared.
“We have never wavered in our desire to create an unforgettable experience this fall in Tennis Paradise for our fans, players and sponsors.”
Further reports suggest that for the first instance in a quite some time, prize money will be back to normal levels, as compared with greatly reduced prize pools in recent times due to Covid restrictions and reduced ticket revenue.
BNP Paribas Open confirms that prize money for rescheduled 2021 event in October will be full, regular prize money for men & women
— Christopher Clarey (@christophclarey) May 20, 2021
This will be welcome news for players, many of whom have been dissatisfied with the financial situation and lack of transparency from governing bodies in tennis during the pandemic.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner