‘I’m so close’ – Serena Williams takes positives from French Open exit
Serena Williams was pleased with her performances at the French Open, and will take plenty of positives into Wimbledon.
Williams is still hunting for a record equalling 24th singles Grand Slam title and will have to wait a little longer after losing to Elena Rybakina in the last 16 of French Open.
The 39-year-old had won just one match on clay before the French Open: “I’m in a much better place than when I got here. (I was) just literally trying to win a match, because it had been a really difficult season for me on the clay.” Williams said
“I’m so close. There is literally a point here, a point there, that could change the whole course of the match. I’m not winning those points.
I’m kind of excited to switch surfaces,” said the world number eight, who quickly shut down a question about whether this could have been her last trip to Roland Garros.
“Historically I have done pretty well on grass. I have done pretty well on clay, too. Just not this particular season.”
Williams is unlikely to play a preparation event on grass, therefore will head straight to Wimbledon which starts on 28th June.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner