‘I’m really happy for her,’ says Iga Swiatek as she is dismissed by resurgent Ana Konjuh
Iga Swiatek has bowed out in the third round of the Miami Open to Ana Konjuh, who is on a comeback run.
Iga Swiatek lost to the Croatian 4-6 6-2 2-6, with the two sharing a hearty handshake at the net after the final point.
‘The only thing I’m like angry about is my second serve because she was attacking it a lot of times,’ Swiatek said following the match. ‘I didn’t really have any idea what I should change.’
While the French Open champion was certainly disappointed, she had nothing but kind words for her victorious opponent.
‘I’m really happy for her that she’s playing so good after so many problems that she had,’ the Pole said. Ana Konjuh was once ranked in the top-20, but four elbow surgeries have meant she went into the tournament as world No. 338, receiving a wildcard entry.
‘I think she’s a good example of a nice comeback and just believing in yourself. It’s really nice.’
Konjuh has dispatched two seeds thus far in the tournament, American Madison Keys (18th seed) and Iga Swiatek (15th seed). She will next face Anastasija Sevastova of Latvia in the Round of 16.
KONJUH BELIEVE IT 🙌
— wta (@WTA) March 27, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner