‘I’m learning how to close matches,’ Coco Gauff through to first Slam quarter-final
Coco Gauff reached her first last eight of a Slam in double quick time after defeating Ons Jabeur at the French Open.
The 17-year-old put up a dominant performance against her Tunisian opponent to win in just 53 minutes, 6-3, 6-1.
“Super happy that I was able to reach my first [Slam] quarter-final,” the teenage American said in her post-match interview. “I played really well today, so I’m happy about that. Thank you guys for coming to watch.
“Parma gave me a lot of confidence, especially on the clay. It was my first title on clay.”
Gauff won the Emilia-Romagna Open in Parma just prior to the French Open, dropping just one set en route to the title, and has since not dropped a set in four match in Paris so far.
“[Parma] taught me a lot on how to close matches and deal with the pressure on important points.”
Gauff displayed impressive numbers in her match win, losing just nine points on her serve, surrendering zero break point opportunities, and taking 7 of 11 break points presented to her.
The American star will face another singles Slam quarter-final debutant in Barbora Krejcikova, who dispatched 2018 finalist Sloane Stephens 6-2, 6-0.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner