‘If Roger Federer says he can beat me, he can, but…’ – Teenage star Coco Gauff rages over gender gap claim
Coco Gauff has angrily told fans that there is no natural gender gap in tennis, and unless you’re a Roger Federer level player you aren’t going to beat her.
The American teenager was replying to fan questions on Tik-Tok and, quite rightly, took exception to someone claiming there is a huge technical gulf between women’s and men’s tennis.
“First things first: even though I am a girl, I don’t play ‘girls’ tennis – I play women’s tennis, I play with grown women. So that’s one thing,” Coco Gauff said.
“As an athlete, I have no problem in people saying they are better than me because their skill level is better than me.
“But if you think you are better than me for the sole reason that you think you’re a boy and I’m a girl… That doesn’t make any sense.
“If Roger Federer says he can beat me, he 100% can say that because of skill level and his actual game is way better than mine.
“But if you say that you can beat me solely because of the fact that I’m a girl, that’s stupid”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner