‘I will play the French Open’ – Andy Murray confirms he’ll make Roland Garros return after three years away
Andy Murray has confirms he plans to play the French Open later this month, although it is unlikely we’ll see him again before that.
The revised ATP calendar moves back to Europe following the US Open for a delayed mini clay season.
As well as the French Open, there will be the Rome Masters as well as smaller events.
Murray had not necessarily been expected to go to Roland Garros given the physical demands of playing on clay, but he fully intends to give it a go.
“The plan [is] to just play the French Open,” Andy Murray said of his clay season plans.
“I haven’t played a match on clay since 2017 which is a very long time.
So, you know, it would be unfair on my body, I think, to maybe try [and play warm-up tournaments too].
“And certainly playing in Rome would be too soon because I will need to take a little break after getting back from here, as well, because it’s been quite an intense little stretch in comparison to what I have had the last ten months or so.
“I think it would be beneficial for me to have time to sort of build up my load on the clay before competing on it.
“So as of right now, my plan would be just to play the French Open, but, I mean, I guess that could change, but I certainly won’t be playing in Rome.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner