‘I was a worse player when I faced Roger Federer,’ insists Daniil Medvedev
Daniil Medvedev stated that while facing Roger Federer is a challenge, the Russian believes he has improved greatly since their last meeting.
Daniil Medvedev spoke on Roger Federer as an opponent and how his views are affected by his own development since the two last competed on-court.
“All three are tough,” Medvedev told Diario AS on which of the ‘Big Three’ is the most difficult opponent. “But when I played Roger I was a worse player than now, which doesn’t mean anything, because if I beat him now it wouldn’t be the same as when he was 25 years old.”
Federer and Medvedev last met on-court at the 2019 Miami Open, in the round of 16, when Medvedev was ranked 15th in the world and Federer went on to win the tournament. Overall, Medvedev has an 0-3 win/loss record against the Swiss.
“He remains an amazing player and an idol to everyone,” Medvedev continued. “It’s actually easy to answer: Rafa [Nadal] at Roland Garros, Djokovic in Australia and Roger [Federer] at Wimbledon.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner