‘I want to win it all on clay,’ Simona Halep looks to complete clay sweep
Simona Halep is looking to complete her clay court major trophy cabinet this week with a title in Stuttgart.
Simona Halep is aiming high at the WTA 500 event this week, currently the only professional tennis tournament played on indoor clay courts.
“I had more than two weeks’ break and some treatment on my shoulder. I feel much better,” Halep told reporters in Stuttgart.
“I didn’t have pain in the last few days that I practised at home and also here. Hopefully, I can stay like that during matches because matches are different from practice.”
The 2018 French Open champion has won every European clay title at 500 level or above on the WTA calendar except Stuttgart.
“I want it badly. It’s a nice tournament, nice conditions, the people are nice to me here,” she said.
— wta (@WTA) April 22, 2021
“It’s one of my goals to win this tournament as well. I want to win all the clay-court tournaments if possible.”
Here it is unclear whether Halep meant completing her list of major clay titles or winning all the clay titles she contests this season.
Simona Halep face Ekaterina Alexandrova in the quarter-finals of Stuttgart.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner