‘I want a real festival feel to professional tennis,’ says ATP star
ATP stalwart Noah Rubin has launched his quest to re-invent tennis and make the sport more exciting in the form of the BTR Tour, set to begin in January 2022.
Former world no.125 Rubin believes tennis has lost its excitement, which is linked to the lack of accessibility for a lot of tennis fans.
“My friends will take off work to watch me and then my match is four hours delayed and they don’t come back the next day,” said the 25-year-old.
“This goes into a deeper problem, it goes into TV rights, fan engagement and there is just not enough revenue streams because people don’t want to be a part of it.
“With other sports you know when they’re going to play. I think that’s a tremendous thing we have to change.
Alongside accessibility, Rubin believes he knows how to make the sport far more exciting and took inspiration from both baseball and Formula 1 with his new BTR Tour.
“I enjoy baseball because you’re not only there for the baseball game, it’s a fun atmosphere.
“I want to take it to another level. I want a festival feel to professional tennis; live music, outdoor vendors, activation, drinks, food trucks. A real festival surrounding the highest level of tennis.
“I think we are doubling down on our country club sport and it’s just not exciting anymore. We are insane athletes, we are exciting to be around and I want people to cheer. We have to change that mentality and that starts with the BTR tour.
“What I took away from F1 is that they have practice and qualifying throughout the whole week. You can get behind it whenever you want but they have one day of actual competition.
“I wanted to make it somewhat of a weekend event for the main draw. We are going to have fans cheering, the festival going and that’s the atmosphere we are looking to create.
“We have changed the rule book around with a new scoring system to fans into the sport. We are really trying to re-invent tennis because it is exciting but hasn’t been marketed the way it needed to be.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner