‘I totally earned it,’ asserts Tsitsipas on defeating Medvedev to reach semis
Stefanos Tsitsipas is supremely confident in his game after overcoming the world No. 2 and heading into the last four of the French Open.
The Greek superstar is into the semi-finals of Roland Garros for the second year running after dispatching Daniil Medvedev in straight sets 6-3, 7-6 (7-3), 7-5 under the lights in Paris.
“I’m playing, good, that will show by itself,” Tsitsipas told reporters after the match. “I don’t think there’s a player out there that [knows] they can win the tournament. I’m pretty sure they all know that they can play well.
“Of course I’m playing good, and I think if I keep repeating the process, keep repeating the everyday hustle that I put [in], for sure there’s gonna be a reward, and why not?”
From the start of the tournament Tsitsipas looked the favourite to reach the final from the bottom half of the draw, and has dropped just one set on his way to the semi-finals, in the third round against John Isner.
Heading into the meeting with Medvedev, the Russian had the upper hand in the head-to-head, leading with a 6-1 win-loss ratio, including their only previous encounter on clay.
“I felt like I was in favour,” Tsitsipas explained despite his historic difficulties against Medvedev.
“I felt like I was winning more points on my serve. It felt like I had a clearer plan of what I was doing and of course that confidence came in in the tiebreak.
“That last game, he was up 40-0, I kind of stepped in and started attacking a bit more, being more aggressive, and it kind of paid off.
“He didn’t quite expect it I think, and it was a really good returning game from my side, and I think I totally earned it.”
Stefanos Tsitsipas will next face Alexander Zverev for a place in the French Open final.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner