“I thought I had no chance” Jannik Sinner suffers major shock to world No. 309
Jannik Sinner is out of Queen’s after a surprise result against a fellow teenage prospect making their way on the ATP tour.
British wildcard Jack Draper ousted the Italian star in straight sets 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (7-2) in two hours on-court for his first ATP tour level win.
“I want to thank you guys so much for the support to be honest, it means so much to me,” the young Brit said in his post-match interview.
“I’m just glad I was able to play so well against such a great player. I’ve got a lot to do to catch up with him but it’s nice to win on this court.”
The result is a big upset in terms of ranking positions. Despite both being 19 years old and only being four months apart in age, Draper had previously played just one match at ATP tour level and is ranked at no. 309 in the world.
By contrast, Jannik Sinner has five Grand Slam main draw appearances to his name, a French Open quarter-final in 2020, a Masters 1000 final this year, and a current ranking of world no. 23.
“You guys really made me feel at home,” he told the crowd. “I thought I had no chance of beating Jannik today to be honest, so I didn’t even bother [looking at the draw].”
JAck Draper will next face either Alexander Bublik or Jeremy Chardy.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner