‘I put that win on the crowd’ – Monfils credits victory to ‘incredible’ support
Gael Monfils admitted that the backing from fans in Paris really helped carry him to his win over Albert Ramos Vinolas.
The Frenchman clearly benefitted from the return of crowds at the French Open, the popular showman acknowledging as much after the encounter.
“Incredible, it was incredible,” Monfils said of the crowd on Court Suzanne Lenglen in his post-match press conference.
“It was not like a full crowd but it was enough to make a decent spirit. I could feel the energy, I could feel that every day I’m working to be on a big stage like that, with crowds.”
The win was Monfils’ first at a Grand Slam since the 2020 Australian Open, having lost in the opening rounds of the 2021 event in Melbourne and the 2020 French Open, as well as foregoing the 2020 US Open.
“I struggled at the beginning,” Monfils said. “I couldn’t really find my range, my timing. I think my legs were not moving enough.
“And then, slowly, I got [into] the match. Made it tough, made Albert [Ramos-Vinolas] work.
“I made a lot of mistakes but as I said I’m trying to be more aggressive, so I need to accept [those mistakes] but also be able to adjust.
“To actually conclude the first big win here, it’s easy to say but I put that win on the crowd, on my parents [being there], I think that helped me quite a lot.”
Gael Monfils will next face Mikael Ymer for a place in the third round.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner