‘I promise I will do everything to make sure Roger Federer remains number one,’ says ATP star
Dominic Thiem says he will ‘everything’ to help protect the legacy and Grand Slam records of Roger Federer.
Federer has won 20 Grand Slam crowns in his career, more than any other man in history.
However, at 39-years-old now he seems unlikely to add to that total, particularly with Novak Djokovic in such sparkling form.
Thiem, though, is in a much better position to challenge Djokovic and Rafael Nadal for major titles over the next few years, particularly since winning his maiden Grand Slam title at Flushing Meadows earlier this month.
And, after declaring Federer completely unique in tennis, he has vowed to do his bit to stop his rivals from overhauling his records.
“Roger Federer congratulated me on my US Open win,” Thiem told Blick.
“I promise, I will do everything so that Roger remains number one (smiling).
“No other player can be compared to Roger, he‘s one of a kind, a much more aesthetic and elegant player than I am.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner