‘I played very solid,’ Kei Nishikori continues successful return with Dubai win
Kei Nishikori has come from a set down to reach the second round in Dubai, bolstering his steady comeback.
Kei Nishikori defeated American Reilly Opelka 3-6 6-3 6-4 in a tight first-round match in Dubai.
The Japanese star has won only five matches since returning to the tour in September following a lengthy injury absence. However, he has now won 3 of his last 5 matches, including a run to the quarter-finals in Rotterdam.
‘It wasn’t easy, especially against him, especially this court,’ Nishikori said in his on-court interview. ‘It’s very fast with a high bounce,’ he added.
‘It wasn’t easy to make many returns in my game but I think the couple of games when I broke him in the second and third [set] I played very solid.
‘I tried to step in a little more because [Opelka’s serve] bounces really high. He served really well, not easy to play against him.
Kei Nishikori will play David Goffin in the next round. He does have a 3-0 record over the Belgian, but all of their meetings came back in 2015.
‘I’m happy to play against him next,’ Nishikori continued post-match. ‘We’re good friends, he’s a nice guy. We always have good battles and play long matches.
‘I’m expecting a tough one, but I’ll try to do my best.’
Read more about the Japanese tennis icon here.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner