‘I played 100% good tennis,’ Nishikori secures victory over Fognini
Kei Nishikori is off to a winning start in Rome, defeating Fabio Fognini 6-3, 6-4 in controlled performance, taking just under 80 minutes.
“I think I played almost 100% good tennis today,” Nishikori stated in his post-match interview. “[Fognini] was, of course, a tough player [to face], especially at home here in Rome.
“But I really played solid from the beginning until the end.”
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 10, 2021
Nishikori now has a 10-9 win-loss record in 2021 so far, and has in the past two tournaments lost to the eventual champion (Nadal in Barcelona and Zverev in Madrid).
“I’m feeling pretty good from last week,” Nishikori continued. “Unfortunately I lost to Sascha [Zverev], but he was playing really well.
“I was also playing at a pretty good tennis level and even today I think I showed a good level of tennis and I’m really looking forward to playing the next couple of rounds.”
Kei Nishikori will next face 11th seed Pablo Carreno Busta in the second round in Rome.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner