‘I need to figure it out,’ Serena Williams uncertain on Olympics participation
Serena Williams does not yet have concrete plans around taking part in this summer’s Olympics in Tokyo.
Serena Williams is still deciding on how to move forward with preparation for the Tokyo Olympics, including whether or not she will definitely compete at all.
“You know I haven’t really thought much about that and that’s a really good question,” Williams responded when asked about her plans for participation at the Tokyo Olympics, in particular regarding travel plans for her three-year-old daughter.
“I haven’t spent 24 hours without her. So that kind of answers the question itself. We’re best friends,” Serena added in her Italian Open press conference in Rome.
Williams’ daughter was brought into the conversation because current travel restrictions in place prevent Serena from bringing her daughter to the Olympics this July.
“I think there’s other reasons but I haven’t really thought much about Tokyo because it was supposed to be last year and now it’s this year and then there’s this pandemic and there’s so much to think about,” Williams continued.
“Then there’s the Grand Slams and it’s just a lot. So, I’ve just been taking it one day at a time to a fault and I definitely need to figure out my next moves.”
Serena Williams returns to the tour at the Italian Open and will face either Laura Siegemund or Nadia Podoroska in the second round.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner