‘I like the concept of having a Masters 1000 event on grass before Wimbledon’, says ATP chief
ATP chairman Andrea Gaudenzi said having a ‘strong grass court Masters 1000 tournament’ ahead of Wimbledon is a concept he likes.
While there are currently nine ATP Masters 1000 events – six on hard courts and three on clay – none are played on grass.
Gaudenzi suggested this could change though – highlighting the UK as a possible host country, and the week of ATP 500 tournaments Queen’s and Halle as the likely calendar slot.
“I personally like the concept of having an ATP Masters 1000 tournament on grass the week of Queen’s and Halle,” Gaudenzi told The Times.
“It is something I have proposed to the stakeholders and to the board. I like the concept of a strong Masters 1000 leading into Wimbledon.
“We have a Grand Slam on grass but not a Masters 1000. It is obviously going to have to be discussed by everyone but that could be a way of bringing a big event to the UK.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner