‘I imposed my game,’ says Stefanos Tsitsipas as he pushes through to Monte Carlo semi-final
Stefanos Tsitsipas has defeated 21-year-old Alejandro Davidovich Fokina to reach the Monte Carlo Masters semi-finals.
Stefanos Tsitsipas is into the semi-finals of the Monte Carlo Masters for the first time in his career defeating Davidovich Fokina 7-5 0-0 (walkover).
“I’m happy to be at the place where I am right now. [It’s] important playing on home soil, it kind of feels this way. And, I’m happy with my performance today. I think I fought really hard.”
“I was trying even in difficult moments I was putting out my best tennis.”
“I saw he got injured in the middle of the first set. I took advantage of it, tried to make him play. It wasn’t easy of course, there were certain moments which were a bit tricky and uncertain but yeah, I stayed composed and imposed my game later during that match.”
An unfortunate end 😞
Davidovich Fokina is forced to retire in his first Masters 1000 quarter-final, sending Tsitsipas through to the last 4
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) April 16, 2021
Davidovich Fokina was a successful player as a junior, winning the Wimbledon Boys’ Singles back in 2017. The Spaniard was making his debut in a Masters 1000 quarter-final, but was unfortunate to be forced into a withdrawal due to injury.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner