‘I have missed it’ – Roger Federer drops major hint about 2021 scheduling
Roger Federer has given more hints about his potential 2021 schedule by saying he wants to play the Asian swing of the Tour.
The Asian swing of the ATP Tour usually happens after the US Open, but was cancelled this year due to the Chinese government bringing in restrictions on sporting events to control the coronavirus outbreak.
Federer’s schedule for next season is something of a mystery at this stage as he is yet to return from double knee-surgery.
It proves to be a busy one, though, with him publicly stating his intention to play the delayed Tokyo Olympics. We can now add the Asian swing to the list of his planned events.
“I’ve always enjoyed coming back [to China] and I think the fans are incredibly creative,” Federer said in a Q&A.
“They have incredible energy and I really feel that it makes me want to come back many more times so I can’t thank the fans enough.
“This year, I missed it unfortunately because of two reasons. Number one because of COVID-19 but also because of the knee.
“Next year  obviously is the year I want to come back to China.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner