‘I had to make some changes,’ admits Rafa Nadal after he makes another French Open final
Rafael Nadal admitted that he had to make some changes to his tactics to beat Diego Schwartzman in the French Open semi-final.
Nadal lost to Schwartzman at the Rome Masters last month, although it was his first tournament in seven months.
He never looked in trouble of losing at Roland Garros though, where he ultimately eased to a 6-3, 6-3, 7-6 (7-0) win.
“I lost to him in Rome, so I knew it would be a tough clash,” Nadal said after the match.
“We have been playing a lot of matches, and he was better and better every single time.
“I didn’t play well in Rome, and he is always at a high level. Three days ago, he played an excellent match against Dominic Thiem.
“I looked at what happened in that match and what didn’t work for me in Rome, trying to change that and making it happen today.”
The match itself was a an entertaining affair that was tough at times for Nadal, but he was still ultimately dominant.
“I had a couple of mistakes,” Nadal admitted. “He played some good points. I knew against Diego it’s very difficult until the end.
“Two and a half weeks ago I lost in Rome, so I expected a very tough match. I’m happy with the way I played.
“With these conditions it’s very difficult, and it’s still incredible to be in the final again. Thanks to my team, my family. It’s a beautiful moment for me.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner