‘I felt it was time to step up after loss to Carlos Alcaraz’, says Casper Ruud
Casper Ruud said Carlos Alcaraz “showed him that the young guys are coming” by beating him in Marbella before his Monte Carlo Masters run.
The 22-year-old Norwegian reached the semi-finals of the ATP Masters 1000 event in Monte Carlo this week – where he lost to Andrey Rublev.
The world No. 27 was beaten by 17-year-old Spaniard Alcaraz in the quarter-finals of the Andalucia Open in Marbella last week.
“It’s a nice confidence booster. Coming into this week, I played pretty well in Marbella, but I lost to a good young player,” said Ruud in a post-match interview.
“I got a tough beating there. He (Alcaraz) was playing very well. (It) surprised me a bit how well Alcaraz was playing back in Marbella. He showed me that the young guys are coming. I felt like it was time for me to step up a little bit.
“I played well here in Monte-Carlo, which gave me confidence. Unfortunately, (it) wasn’t to be today. It’s been a good week. I’ve been playing good matches and beating good players. It’s a very good start of the clay court season for me.”
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner