‘I felt helpless,’ Iga Swiatek opens up about Ana Konjuh defeat
Iga Swiatek has released a statement reflecting on her personally disappointing early exit at the Miami Open.
Iga Swiatek was near the top of a very strong women’s field at the Miami Open this year when she fell to surprise package Ana Konjuh 4-6 6-2 2-6 in the Round of 32.
“It’s not easy at all,” the young Pole said in her declaration on Twitter. “I honestly think that I’m doing a decent job – and looking not at my ranking, but at my experience and development in previous years on tour – I am doing progress.”
KONJUH BELIEVE IT 🙌
— wta (@WTA) March 27, 2021
Since winning her maiden Grand Slam at Roland Garros in 2020, Swiatek made the fourth round at the Australian Open and secured a title at the Adelaide International 2021.
“After competing for 3 months on the highest level, basically without a break, it is hard sometimes to calm my nerves on court,” she added to her post.
“Because we’re out of our comfort zone so often and I’m still adapting to this level of competition and pressure.”
Swiatek goes on to address Miami more directly: “Also the fact that at some point I felt helpless is not easy.
“That was a high level, challenging match. And all credit to Ana, because she played [an] amazing match and she wrote [a] beautiful story in Miami.
“That doesn’t change the fact that I will do everything in my power to not feel this way next time.
“It means work, work, work. Because it takes time when everything happens so fast.”
The Polish star is still only 19 years old, seemingly still feeling plenty of pressure given her French Open triumph.
“I look at my tennis work as a marathon, not just a quick sprint. It means I have many years of work to do and many opportunities to be better and better.
“And days like that – are the best lessons.
“So… till the next time. And thank you for your support. It means a lot,” Swiatek ended the tweet.
— Iga Świątek (@iga_swiatek) March 30, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner