‘I feel like I deserve it’ Daniil Medvedev on No.2 ranking after winning Marseille title
Daniil Medvedev has won a maiden Marseille title after unexpectedly losing in the first round of Rotterdam last week.
Daniil Medvedev defeated home hopeful Pierre-Hugues Herbert 6-4 6-7 6-4 to claim his first individual title of 2021 and tenth tour title overall.
‘Yeah, it was a really tight match,’ Medvedev said immediately following the match. ‘In the first set, I felt like I had more opportunities, the second set was really tight, I had one break point in the first game, then [Herbert] was actually better than me in the set.
‘I just decided in the last game where I got a bit lucky and made some returns in the court, he was a bit tight and that’s tennis actually.’
The Russian will become world No. 2 for the first time on Monday and would have done so regardless of how he faired in France.
‘During the tournament, I didn’t want to think about it too much because the most important part was the tournament and I actually had the chance in Rotterdam to become No. 2 if I made the final,’ he said on the subject.
‘I was kind of disappointed that I was gonna make world No. 2 without a good result, but then I had the chance here in Marseille, so even if I don’t get to No. 2 with the Marseille points, I feel like I deserve it.
Medvedev went on to congratulate his opponent Herbert on a great week, as well as his team and those involved in running the tournament.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner