‘I feel happy with the week and super sad with the final’, says Andrey Rublev on Monte Carlo run
Andrey Rublev admitted Stefanos Tsitsipas was “just better” than him in the final of the Monte Carlo Masters on Sunday.
The world No. 8 was beaten 6-3 6-3 by Tsitsipas in the title match of the ATP Masters 1000 tournament. The 23-year-old Russian beat 11-time champion Rafael Nadal en route to what was his first final at that level.
“He (Tsitsipas) was just better than me. I feel happy with the week, and I feel super sad with the final that I couldn’t show the game (I have),” said Rublev in a post-match interview.
“I couldn’t show fight. I didn’t win, but of course I’m happy with the week because I beat so many great players. I beat one of the best players in history. It’s a special week.
“He (Tsitsipas) is the one from the top players that I (have been) playing the most. We played already (a) couple of finals, (and a) couple of important matches.
“I have more stories of matches (against) him compared (to) other players. I hope it’s the beginning of something. I hope I will also be able to win some of them.
“It’s my first tournament on clay (this year) and I already (reached a) final, my first final (at a) Masters 1000. It’s a great beginning. I hope I can show great game every week.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner