‘I feel awesome!’ overjoyed Zverev looks on to Rome and Roland Garros
Alexander Zverev is in high spirits after claiming the 2021 Madrid Masters title by defeating maiden finalist Matteo Berrettini.
Alexander Zverev came from a set down to triumph over the Italian 6-7 (8-10), 6-4, 6-3 in the longest final at the Caja Magica to date.
“Rome is also an event I like and enjoy,” Zverev said following his victory. “So I hope I can perform [in] the same way as I did here and we will see how it goes there. I feel awesome.”
The title is Zverev’s fourth Masters 1000 title overall and first since winning Madrid in 2018. The German defeated Roland Garros favourites Rafael Nadal and Dominic Thiem back-to-back in straight sets en route to the final, something that will garner some confidence ahead of Paris.
“To do well at the French Open, you need to be playing well during the clay-court season,” Zverev added. “That is in a way important for me, as well.”
“At the end of the day I won a Masters. There’s really very little in terms of bigger than this one right here.
“I’m happy with this achievement. Obviously, yeah, I look forward to the next few weeks. I look forward to what’s ahead.”
Alexander Zverev will face either Hugo Dellien or Adrian Mannarino in the second round of the Rome Masters (as a top seed he receives a first round bye)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner