‘I empathise with Pospisil wholeheartedly,’ says Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic has voiced his support of Vasek Pospisil after the Canadian hit out at the ATP Chief during his match in Miami on Wednesday.
Pospisil founded the PTPA last year – an independent players’ union borne of frustration at how the ATP represent them.
During his first-round defeat against Mackenzie McDonald, the Canadian was visibly enraged, hitting out at ATP Chief Andrea Gaudenzi.
“An hour and a half the chair of the ATP f***ing screaming at me in a player meeting for trying to unite the players,” Vasek Pospisil said to umpire Arnaud Gabas.
“For an an hour and a half… The leader of the ATP… F***ing a**hole.”
Publicly, the PTPA and the ATP have been amicable, though Pospisil’s rant on court raises questions as to the true nature of the relationship.
Since then, World No 1 Novak Djokovic, who resigned as president of the ATP player council last year, has voiced his support for the Canadian star and placed emphasis on player solidarity.
“Concerning matters at hand, I am not in Miami. However Vasek Pospišil is my good friend and I empathise with him wholeheartedly,” said Djokovic on twitter.
“Players on tour would agree that he is an individual of the highest integrity who cares about the well being of his fellow competitors.”
“I am hopeful players recognise the importance of standing together.”
Fellow Canadian Milos Raonic has also come out in support of Pospisil: “Player unity is needed now more than ever. Voices need to be heard, respected and acknowledged Don’t try to silence them, but work with them.”
Pospisil has since apologised for his bad tempered rant, though stated he felt ‘deeply unnerved’ during a meeting between players and ATP executives.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner