‘I dug deep today,’ declares Jannik Sinner after rallying to defeat Karatsev
Jannik Sinner battled back from being comprehensively beaten in the first set to overcome Aslan Karatsev and progress in Lyon .
Jannik Sinner fought hard after being bageled by a dominant Karatsev in the first set, going on to win 0-6, 6-3, 6-4 in two and a half hours on-court.
“Obviously it has been tough,” Sinner said in his post-match interview. “He’s a great player. Especially this year he’s had some big results so a lot of respect to [Karatsev].
“I tried to dig in deep today and in the end I’m very happy that I finished [off] the match today.”
Jannik Sinner did not win a single point behind his second serve in the first set as Karatsev dictated the set.
The 19-year-old then bounced back to take the second set 6-3 before an extended rain delay suspended play at 1-2 in the third set, on the Italian’s serve.
— ATP Tour (@atptour) May 19, 2021
“It’s great to see some crowds as well. I think everyone missed that so thank you very much.
“Today I definitely struggled, especially in the beginning. The first set went quite fast and I tried to take a little bit of time. Then the rain came.
“So, it was not easy, but I think for a first round match I can be very happy.”
Jannik Sinner will face French lucky loser Arthur Rinderknech for a place in the quarter-finals.
(Photo credit Ray giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner